What will happen if I am on an F1 visa and was arrested? 1 Answers as of June 08, 2011

I am an international student on F1 visa who was arrested for shoplifting 4.5yrs ago. I was given pre-trial intervention and did some community service. Since then I have gone home every Christmas and vacation that I can think of. I recently applied for my OPT through USCIS and got it but I can't find a job, so I am thinking about going home and applying for a tourist visa. How hard do you think it would be for me to get it. I mean the higher heads in the USCIS office approved my OPT and allowed me to work in there country.

Visa issuance will depend on the exact charge and the maximum sentence that could have been imposed, not the actual sentence. Get a complete copy of the charging document, court order and case disposition, then consult with an attorney experienced in your state.