What will happen if I am going to trial for a hit and run? 18 Answers as of March 25, 2013

I am 21, a single mother and full time student. I went to court on March 20, 2013 for hit and run. I will be seeing the judge again on May 1, 2013. I believe that it was not my fault and I want to make this case as easy as possible so I will not face jail time.

Well without knowing all the details in the police reports and what the witnesses say, I can't advise you.
Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
You need competent advice to try to avoid conviction. (Very bad for insurance). And that would make it easier for the one you "hit and run" to sue you.
I would need further information to answer. The prosecution has to prove you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. If you do not have an attorney you should hire one and disclose all the facts and circumstances to see if you have a good defense and a good chance of not being found guilty.
I am assuming that you have an attorney and, if so, you should be speaking to him about this, since (s)he has more information than you posted. If you are not represented by an attorney, to need to hire one immediately.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
You MUST hire a lawyer. This is a serious charge and even if you did not cause the accident, you still must stop and share information. Do not talk with police or prosecutors.
    Whether you are guilty of a hit-and-run is different than whether you were at fault for the accident. If you have an accident, whether At fault or not, you are required to stop and provide insurance information. You would be wise to hire legal counsel.
    In a hit and run case, the issue is not fault for the accident. The issue is did the defendant provide the required assistance, information as to ID, etc. You need an attorney.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    A hit and run charge is a pretty serious charge. You should really consult with an attorney to find out what your defenses might be.
    Hire an attorney to represent you. Regardless of who was at fault, it is both drivers' duty to stop at the scene of the accident, and communicate with police is there is injury of property damage done. As this is jailable, have a lawyer next time you appear in court, or ask the judge for a public defender.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    It's anybody's guess at this point. Sentencing depends on whether you have been found guilty, your prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    There is no way to give a full evaluation of your case without a complete review of the case, the facts and your criminal history. If there were no injuries, however, and you do not have any criminal history, and the situation was not aggravated, you may anticipate probation. But the judge may order some custody time as a condition of that probation which can usually be satisfied by an approved offender work release program, or in some instances, community service. Your attorney should be able to assist you with these options. Of course, you may be innocent or have a defense at trial in which case you should seriously consider going to trial instead of taking a quick settlement. Good Luck!
    Even if you did not cause an accident, it is your legal responsibly to stop and exchange information with the other party. To continue on your way without doing this is a hit and run.
    You will have a trial. If you win, then you go home. IF you lose, then you will be going to jail, primarily because you could not accept responsibility.
    Jail should be the least of your concenrs. Hit and Run is a crime of moral turpitude, so if convicted you can kiss your school/career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea that you will regret for life.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    hit and run does not depend on fault - it is a requirement to exchange information and give help if necessary - you can lose your license for a year for the hit and run charge alone ask for a public defender if you cannot afford a lawyer - you do not want to lose your license
    Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
    If convicted, you face jail time and fines as a penalty.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    It is impossible to tell you what will happen in any given case. I can tell you, however, that "fault" is not an issue in a hit and run case. Parties to an accident are required to do certain things in the case of an accident. Exactly what is required depends upon the type of accident, for example, personal injury accident, collision with an attended vehicle or property damage accident. None of these are dependent upon "fault".
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
    How was it not your fault that you left the scene of the accident? Also, you say you want to deal with the case as easy as possible. However, this is not the posture you have taken with the court, as it is set for trial. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a trial, just that it's not the "easy" route. I think you may be confused abut the whole process and what you are dealing with. You need to hire an attorney.