What will happen if I am charged with crimes while on probation for a DUI in Utah? 1 Answers as of February 03, 2011

I already paid my DUI fines. I have my hearing coming up but recently I was charged with other crimes. What will happen to me?

Crippen & Cline, LC
Crippen & Cline, LC | Stephen Howard
If you are on probation for a DUI and get charged with a new offense, you could potentially be punished both for the new charge and have the original sentence from the first DUI imposed as well. Here is an example of what could happen.

Let's suppose that on the first DUI the judge imposed 180 days jail suspended (meaning you didn't actually serve 180 days) and placed you on probation for 12 months with the usual conditions. If during that probation period you are convicted on a new case, the judge on the new case will sentence you to whatever is appropriate there. But the first judge can bring you in on an "order to show case" and put you in jail for the original 180 days.

Prosecutors and judges take DUI's seriously in Utah. If you were on probation for DUI and picked up another case, you should have a good lawyer on your side - for both cases.