What will happen if he has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident? 3 Answers as of February 11, 2011

My husband was involved in a car accident and was not the one at fault. A car hit the car behind him which then hit him causing no damage to his car. The women in the car behind him got out of her car to ask him if he was okay, which he was and he gave her his name and number and let her know where he worked. He left because he is an instructor at the local University and he needed to get to class. After his second class of the day, an officer showed up on campus and gave him a citation for leaving the scene of an accident. He was told that the girl ended up having to go to the hospital, but when he left she was fine. He was not the one who caused the accident, nor was there any damage to his car. He has a court date now for this and we do not know what our options are.

There are two types of charges for leaving the scene of an accident. One is where you merely cause property damage with no personal injury. That is punishable up to 90 days in jail, $100 fine, and possible license suspension. If the accident involved personal injury (which seems to be the case here), that is a more serious misdemeanor. That is punishable up to one year in jail, $1,000 in fines and license suspension. This is a very serious matter.

Your husband should retain an experienced criminal lawyer as soon as possible. The stakes are too high to go at it alone or not take it seriously. Feel free to give us a call at (517) 614-1983 for a free, no obligation
Law Office of Martin Blank
Law Office of Martin Blank | Martin E. Blank
The question I have is whether or not he is charged with leaving a property accident or personal injury accident. The latter being a more serious charge. I cannot tell you "what will happen" however, I believe obtaining an attorney is imperative.
Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
This is far more serious than the facts you report may make you think it is. Your husband needs an experienced & competent attorney that knows the players in the district court where his case is pending please do not go to court without a good attorney