What will happen I did not show up for a court date after my DWI in Louisiana? 2 Answers as of February 02, 2011

Will they actively search for me because of this DWI warrant, and will I be able to get a license still? I just got my third DWI. I am aware that I will face time in prison because of it. I did not go to court to face my charge.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Smith & John
Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
A warrant will be issued for your arrest.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 2/2/2011
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
You will almost certainly have a bench warrant out for your arrest and it will not be possible for you to obtain a driver's license. Charges for a third DWI Offense in Louisiana are extremely serious and can result in very harsh penalties.

This is not something that you should attempt to handle on your own and is definitely not something that you should ignore and expect to go away. Missing court dates will only make your eventual arrest a more unpleasant situation and ultimately make it much more difficult to get released.

Third time DWI Convictions can carry minimum 1 year sentences without the option of probation, parole or suspension of the sentence. It may be possible to convince the judge to adhere to the minimum sentencing guidelines (which would avoid the maximum 5 - year penalties) if probation and substance abuse counseling are agreed to.

The specific details of your case will have a large impact on your ultimate sentence and conviction. An experienced DWI Attorney can work with you to determine the best options for your defense and fight to keep you from receiving the harshest penalties.

You are strongly advised to seek out legal representation in this matter immediately as the deadlines for DWI cases in Louisiana are extremely strict and prompt.

We invite you to contact our firm at the information provided on this page if you are seeking representation in this matter in Louisiana.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 1/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: