What will happen after I received a summons? 10 Answers as of April 14, 2014

I just received a summons on some medical bills that I couldn't pay. The original debt collector would not work with me whatsoever. I need to know how to resolve this without going to court. It says I must file a response with the court and filing attorney. Any help would be appreciated.

The only likely method to settle this out of court is to pay. If you file a response you might be able to negotiate, but if the debt is valid, BK may be your only solution.
You should respond (file legal answer in court) but if not then you can file bankruptcy to get rid of the debt.
File an answer with the court and try to work out a settlement with the attorney. Otherwise you could file bankruptcy.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
You will not resolve it without going to court.. a summons is the start of a court case. however if you can pay something call the attorney for the hospital and ask.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
You need to serve and file an answer. The attorney will negotiate but he will have limits. Good luck.
    SmithMarco, P.C.
    SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
    You would be greatly benefited by discussing this with a lawyer. Collection attorneys run roughshod over debtors in collection court unless you know how to defend yourself.
    You will have to answer the complaint, a copy to the court and to the opposition attorney, or you will lose by default. Most probably are going to be found liable for the dot, and you should, at that point, ask the court to set and some form of installment payment which is affordable to you.
    Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
    Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
    You need to retain an attorney and file an answer.
    Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk
    Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk | Andrew Oostdyk
    If you do not respond to the lawsuit with an Answer filed with the Court, the Creditor will likely get a default judgment against you. The Judgment could then be attached to any property you own. Speak with a lawyer to assess what options you may have.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    Unless you contracted to pay a specific amount for an elective procedure, liability for medical debts is for the reasonable value of the services provided. They are remarkably difficult to prove. I suggest that you appear, deny that the amount claimed is reasonable, ask for a trial, and if the amount is significant, ask for discovery of medical records and detailed bills. There are often items which are erroneous, not medically necessary, outrageously overpriced ($25 for an aspirin), and the like.