What will happen after I have felony charges for the guns that I inherited? 11 Answers as of June 23, 2014

One month after mother passed away, I was charged with possession of/by a felon. I had been staying with her due to illness grief stuck and undecided what to do. I had done nothing. My own home is right across street.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get rid of the guns and let your attorney know the circumstances. That person may be able to work out a deal.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/23/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You should not have resided in a residence where guns were present, even temporarily. Even if the guns were left to you by your mother, you should not have taken possession of them. You need to retain criminal defense counsel to try to help you straighten this out.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/16/2014
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
You are in violation of California Penal Code Section 12021.1 Felon with a Gun. PC 12021.1 (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 12021, any person who has been previously convicted of any of the offenses listed in subdivision (b) and who owns or has in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control any firearm is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months, or two or three years. It does not matter how you came into possession of the guns or how long you were in possession of the guns. However, give the facts to your attorney and he may cut a deal for you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/16/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Were there any firearms that were around you? If so, the charge will stick. If not have someone testify for you. A lawyer could help you.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/16/2014
Ferguson & Ferguson
Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
You never know for sure. Hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/16/2014
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    Get a lawyer and they can help fight the matter.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/16/2014
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You will go to jail just as IF you had purchased the guns, because a felon cannot inherit, possess or own guns.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/16/2014
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
    The law makes it illegal for a felon to be in possession of a gun, however you may have obtained it. Thus, you cannot take possession of the gun, even if it may have sentimental value or otherwise. I would recommend either giving it to another member of your family if you want to keep it in the family, or to call a gun shop and have them come and pick it up and pay you for it. An experienced attorney will be able to help you to establish with the prosecutor that the situation was, in an of itself, a mitigating factor to your possession charge.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/16/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See an attorney to see if you have a defense.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/16/2014
    The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos
    The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos | Carlos H. Davalos
    You need to talk with a criminal defense attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 6/16/2014
Click to View More Answers: