What will happen after being charged with retail fraud? 4 Answers as of May 03, 2011

I have received a ticket for misdemeanor retail fraud. The amount was only $13, I have a court date on the 4th. I am 18, have no criminal record, this is a first offence. What will most likely happen?

In short, Retail Fraud is "shoplifting". Although there is a potential for jail time, with no prior record, it is unlikely that you will go to jail unless there are some unusual circumstances. Different Courts have different ways of handling this type of case. In some courts, a first offender program will keep the matter off your record. In others, HYTA could be used to keep it off your record. IN still others, a deferred sentence plea is needed to take the matter off your record after a year. Should you want to know about your court and retain this office to represent you, you may contact me to make an appointment.
The maximum penalty is up to 93 days in jail and/or $500 fine. Most likely they will offer you a diversion program given your age and lack of criminal record. What that means is that if you successfully complete community service and any other requirements of the program, then the conviction will not appear on your record. I would still advise you to consult with an experienced criminal attorney and have him review the police report before you decide to plead to anything.
If you simply plead guilty, you will have it on your permanent criminal record. If you handle it with an attorney, it can be kept off your record under the right circumstances.
Law Office of Gary Lazar
Law Office of Gary Lazar | Gary Lazar
If you have a good lawyer he/she can possibly get you in the first offender program which will keep the offense off of your record as long as you attend any classes that you are ordered to attend and follow all other directions of the judge.