What will go wrong if I represent myself? 3 Answers as of November 04, 2010

I am going to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and am considering doing so without an attorney. Is there a high rate of failure for people who represent themselves?

There is a certain rate of failure, but a high rate of not anticipating problems that could occur, such as properly exempting assets, complying with all court procedures, which includes the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure and Local Rules of your particular court. There's about 1,000 things that can go wrong in a given bankruptcy case. I don't know how someone who doesn't deal with it on a daily basis could properly navigate the process without consequences unless they happen to get very lucky (which of course occurs).
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
You have the right to represent yourself as "in pro per." Be sure you understand your rights to exemptions under state law. Also remember that only an attorney can answer legal questions you may have concerning your petition, schedules and exemption. You can lose assets, if paperwork is improperly completed; your case could get dismissed; or audited by the U.S. Trustee....just to name a few things that could go wrong. Many bankruptcy lawyers offer free consultations and you should at least take advantage of that before you proceed.
Unfortunately yes. This is not something that is easy to do on your own.