What will the court do to me for shoplifting first offense? 1 Answers as of October 19, 2016

I got court shoplifting $55 worth of clothes, 15 items but I never meant to steal them. I was on the phone and had my daughter with me who was crying and I paid for some items but not the clothes. They said that I have to go to court. I am really scared as 21 and first time. I have kids. I have never been in trouble with the law before.

In Washington, you committed a gross misdemeanor. The sentencing range is 364 days in jail and/or $5,000 fine. As a first offense, you will likely have to pay a fine, attend a consumer class and do community service. You will be on probation for one year and cannot go to the store during this period. You will also have to pay a civil fine to the store. Most cities have a diversion program that, when completed, you will not have a criminal conviction on your records. If there is no program, your attorney can likely get a Stipulated Order of Continuance. The sentencing terms will be the same, but after the probation period and completing the terms, the charge goes away.