What will the cops do if I refuse to go to my dad's because I fear that if I continue to go there I will kill myself? 5 Answers as of March 04, 2014

I'm 14 years old and I live I'm shared custody from my mom to my dad. My dad is very verbally abusive towards me and is absolutely ridiculous. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and I've gone to the hospital twice over suicide attempts because every time I'm with my dad I want to kill myself. He pushes me to the limit and I'm afraid that I'm going to kill myself if I have to continue to live with him. My situation is extremely urgent. Because I cannot take this anymore and no one will do anything about it, I decided that the when I go back to my mom's on Sunday I am refusing to go back to my dad's. This is what it's come to because he refuses to cooperate and my mom doesn't have enough money to get a lawyer and free legal aid takes too long. So I am not going. I know my dad will call the police if I don't go. When they come, I will talk to them and tell them my situation. Can they force me to go? What will they do? Because in order to get me to go they would have to physically drag me. I am in fear of my life and I don't want to die but he just pushes me to that limit so I just can't be around him. I don't know how many times I've tried to tell my dad this and even my counselors have tried to tell him this. He doesn't care, he simply denies treating me the way he does saying he's never called me the things he does on a daily basis like dumb***, id**t, b**ch, and he even calls my 6 year old brother with Down syndrome those things and denies it. Then when we're in public or around other people he acts like a totally sweet person, so all of his friends and his girlfriend think that I'm the problem because he constantly complains about me when really it's just a big show. So what will the cops do about it when they come?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
I would suggest that you or your mother contact child protective services.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/4/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
The cops will probably not drag you away. Your mother needs to make a motion to the court. She can do this on her own if she can't afford a lawyer. There are advocates at the court house who can help her understand the procedure. She needs to include a declaration from your therapist. Also your therapist is a mandated reporter. She needs to call CPS if you are being abused. Finally, you can turn yourself in to juvie and make the allegations you are making and seek protection from the juvenile court. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/4/2014
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
it is difficult to predict since they can only enforce a court order so I would have to know if there is one.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/4/2014
Law Offices of Laura M Urbik Kern | Laura M Urbik Kern
they will not drag you to go. It is your choice.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/4/2014
Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
CALL A SHELTER FOR ABUSED PERSON'S (google it to find one near your home) and ask them for immediate assistant. Your mother can file a motion to modify visitation to either terminate it (only granted in extreme cases) or make it supervised. She can also ask the court to appoint an attorney (Best interest attorney for children) to represent you. Suicide is not the answer!!!!!!!!!!
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 3/4/2014
Click to View More Answers: