What will be my charges for crossing a street illegally while drunk? 11 Answers as of July 17, 2013

I'm a minor on juvenile probation in CA. I received probation for theft and alcohol. They gave me one year probation, 40 hours of community service, and 4 weekend of WETA (some sort of detention center). I'm done with WETA, I'm working on my hours and yesterday I was arrested for resisting arrest when I crossed a street illegally and drunk in public. I don't know what to do. Please help me.

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
You will be taken before the Juvenile Court Judge. He will get the recommendation of your probation officer and the District Attorney. Your attorney should have talked to the probation officer and District Attorney and conveyed the result to you and your parents. You will face a probation violation and the two new charges. Your best shot is to work out a deal with AA or rehab.
Grant & Grant
Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
Would anticipate the first charge would be an infraction (just a fine) and the second for Drunk in Public and third for Resisting Arrest would be Misdemeanor charges. Although these charges are not serious and often are dismissed for a fine or some class in human behavior, the more serious problem you will have is that these new charges will cause you to be now facing a Probation Violation on the previous case/charges. The best course of action would be to immediately contact and hire a juvenile defense attorney who regularly practices in the court where your new charges are being filed.If you cannot hire an attorney, then ask for a Public Defender.
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
You should retain an experienced criminal defense Attorney right away, and start preparing your defense. Resisting arrest can be filed as a felony, and the jaywalking & drunk in public (647f) are not inconsequential. In addition, if you do get convicted you'll also face a Violation of Probation charge that can result in jail/detention time. This is a serious matter that needs a serious response and preparation before you face your day in Court.
PC 148(a) is a misdemeanor criminal offense. You are also in violation of your previous probation by being arrested. However, both your prior and the current case are relatively minor offenses. Contact an attorney, who may be able to get you some kind of reduction and reinstate your probation with little or no punishment.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc. | Mary Ann Bird
    You may be prosecuted for a violation of your juvenile probation and or be charged with a new juvenile petition. You should contact your attorney and inform him so he can prepare for the upcoming charges.
    You already listed the charges: Drunk in public. Jaywalking. Resisting arrest. Probation violation. The last two carry real jail time. Help will come by hiring an attorney. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence, facts and sympathies are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict and jail you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    The new charge of resisting arrest can act as a violation of your juvenile probation. When you appear in court on the new charge, the judge will likely have your probation file in front of him. IF the court had appointed you a public defender on prior case, they will likely have that lawyer try to help you this time around. Juvenile court judges have massive power and the judge could put you on probation again, have you do some classes or could put you in juvenile hall. Make sure you speak to your lawyer before you go into court as every juvenile court has different policies.
    Law Offices of James A Bates
    Law Offices of James A Bates | James A Bates
    One of the conditions of your probation is that you "violate no law". The drunk-in-public charge would cause a probation violation, loss of drivers licence. But the resisting arrest is the most serious charge. You need to contact an attorney asap. A lot of this depends on how old you are, what is your record, etc.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You violated the terms of your probation. This is serious and you need an attorney to help you sort this out. You have the new offense and VOP to deal with. Call me with any questions . This can be dealt with.
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
    Okay, here's what's up. When you violate probation they can re-instate the original penalty...say you were going to be sentenced to 6 months in jail, but the court sets that aside if you complete a program as part of your probation. If you don't do the program the court can sentence you to the 6 months in jail. You'll be okay. Say you have a booze/drug problem and got scared when the cops stopped you because you knew you were on probation... you haven't hurt anyone...