What is the waiting period for I-130? 4 Answers as of June 22, 2011

I am a US citizen hoping to get married to a non US citizen out of country. I want to know how long will it take for him to come here after I file the I-130 or is there a quicker way to call him here like K-1 visa? Also want to know, since we will be newly married do I have to stay with him a certain time period before I file I-130? Please help

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
It would help if you would at least say what country he is from. Some countries have the benefit of the Visa Waiver Program and their citizens can come visit. Within that group, certain countries' citizens can adjust status as immediate relatives of USC's. Now, I don't know how long any process takes and no one does. You want to look for the "Visa Bulletin" on the web and look for category F1. That will tell you what priority dates they are processing right now and give you an idea as to how long it might take for your future husband to come to the US. As for the K-1, you are normally looking at 9 to 15 months give or take. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/22/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
If you get married out of the country, you might want to consider the K-3 visa. This is a spousal visa that operates much like a K-1 visa. This visa was created to cut down on the amount of time that spouses have to spend apart. All the best.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/21/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If you are a USC, then you can use the three step consular processing application to file for your wife's green card. Depending on how organized you are, the current processing times and consulate you are using, the process normally takes about 9-12 months. However it can take much longer, for example, Vietnam, is terrible. They make applicants wait for years so it really depends also on the consulate. The K-1 can be a faster way to gain entry while the application is pending however that depends upon where you live in the US as in some places, it is not faster than the normal processing!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/21/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
As soon as you get married you can file the I-130. It takes approx. 6-10 months for the I-130 petition to be adjudicated.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: