What visitation schedule is recommended when parents live in neighboring states but different time zones? 1 Answers as of October 21, 2014

My four year old daughter and I live in Georgia. Her father just moved to Alabama, one way trip is around 4 hours. She is enrolled, Monday through Friday, at a private school, so does not have a flexible weekly schedule. She currently goes to her dad's every other weekend, we swap Thanksgiving each year, as well as first and second halves of Christmas break. He gets two full weeks in the summer, and although it's not in our court ordered schedule, I arrange for the three day holiday weekends to be his weekends as he has limited time with her. Also, I am sure he will have her more than the two full weeks during the summer if our schedules work out.
My concern is that my daughter's routine is being thrown off during the school year due to the differences in time zones and routines, etc. Is it likely that a court would modify the visitation to one weekend a month?

Background: Dad and I separated when minor was 4 months old, divorced one year later. We have joint legal custody; I have sole physical custody. He left when daughter was 1 1/2 to do contract work in Afghanistan. I was flexible and he had our daughter every time he came home (2-3 times/year; 10-14 days each time). He has just moved back to the states, so has been gone nearly 3 and a half years as our daughter will be five next month.

The Court is only needed if the two of you can't agree. The Court would look for actual evidence of adverse effects from changes to your daughter's schedule. If there exists an adverse material change in circumstances, then the Court would likely modify the visitation order. She is so young, it's difficult to figure what evidence would surface to illustrate the being "thrown off." If you start to see adverse effects discuss with the father and try to agree to something that you both think will benefit your daughter. Generally, it's better for the child to have parents that agree... God bless.