What visitation rights does an absent neglectful father has? 3 Answers as of February 09, 2012

I just have questions because I am scared for my son being alone with his absent and neglectful father. He has violent tendencies. Pushed me years ago. Scared to stand up to him. My son is extremely sensitive, only me and my parents take care of him since and before birth. The father never sent a card. Birthday or Christmas gifts. Rarely calls. Comes and goes when he pleases. I do this all alone. My parents help and helped me 100%. I'm paranoid for him to see him alone. He's moving back here and I am under tremendous stress and anxiety. What can I do?

The DeRose Lawfirm | Peter J. DeRose
Generally speaking, a father has liberal rights of visitation. This is true even if he has anger issues, fails to support his child, is neglectful and fails to exercise regular visitation. Depending upon the type of abuse or neglect, the court can be petitioned to modify visitation to correspond with what is in the best interests of the child. A Michigan lawyer who is experienced and skilled in the area of domestic relations can appropriately counsel and advise you of the likelihood of prevailing on a motion to limit visitation.
Was the child a product of a marriage with the father which ended in a divorce with Court orders of custody and parenting time? If so, follow the court orders. If not, then I assume the child was born outside of a marriage. If so, was an affidavit of Parentage (not to be confused with a birth certificate) ever signed or an action of Paternity filed. If not, the father has no parenting rights.