What is the value of the personal injury accident? 20 Answers as of May 20, 2015

How much could I get from my accident? I was the passenger. The accident happened 5 months ago. I had burns, a scar, and I had to go to the chiropractor. They said they would give me around $4,000 on top of the average for the bills. I was in pain for a long time. I had to miss work. My leg still hurts.

Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
There is no set value for an injury because there are too many variables to consider besides the possibility of having set values for the whole population of any locale, let alone for the United States of America. On the other hand, your question is how did the insurance company come to the conclusion that $4,000.00 plus, did you say the average of, the medical bills? It appears that your injuries are not the run-of-the-mill muscle strain injuries common in car wrecks. You should discuss this an attorney, maybe two or three to make sure what each will do to help get you just compensation.
Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
Without knowing exact details of your injuries, medical expenses and any lost income, any legal advice would be nothing more than speculation. The insurance company will attempt to settle your case for as little as possible. Consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney is highly recommended. Many such initial consultations are provided without charge.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
We are not soothsayers. NO attorney can answer your question without reviewing the medical records AND knowing the limits of insurance.
Case values vary significantly from case to case and place to place. It is the job of an experienced injury lawyer to be aware of these values. Consider consulting one. If what has been offered is sufficient, he or she should be willing to tell you so without charge. Good luck.
No one can answer your question without a great deal more information, and some research. A great deal depends on specific facts, some of which are not likely apparent to a lay person. Consult a personal injury lawyer, who may be able to find damages which you might not have considered, and who knows how to negotiate with insurers. Good Luck.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    If you are stable and qualified to work again, the offer is low but predictable. The cost, time, expense, risk of a lawsuit and trial require significantly more damages than you could reasonably expect a jury to award even if you stubbornly insisted on a jury trial. In addition, the defendant's insurance lawyers get paid to search your personal life and history. The probing is easier and deeper with the internet. All your medical conditions back to birth can be requested. They say genetics may explain the victim's pain. Scarring can motivate a jury but it needs to be facial or hideous to lever significant damages. Many factors. You can file your own lawsuit in your Justice Court. That can get them to continue to negotiate but your should not expect much more than a few thousand and you need to be ready to show up in court with your bills and records if the insurance company calls your bluff.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    The case is worth what you can prove to a jury. Without permanent scars, broken bones, etc. it is not worth a whole lot. However, if you can prove nerve injuries or something serious, it will be worth more.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    While I generally hesitate to suggest dollar amounts (because so much depends upon coverage and how the litigation proceeds), $4,000 sounds too low; that is, assuming your injuries meet the state-mandated threshold (and they probably do). If you don't have a lawyer, they'll low-ball you. That's what insurance companies do. Their goal is to pay as little as possible, and it's easiest to pick on unrepresented people. Don't delay, time goes by quickly, and lawyers won't take cases with too little time left to work them up before they're time-barred.
    Let me give you a hint as to the information we don't have that would be necessary: You had burns. 2nd degree? 3rd degree? 2% of your body? 20%? On your elbow, or your face? You have a scar. How big? Where? Can it be addressed with plastic surgery? You went to a chiropractor. 2 times? 20 times? 100 times? You had to miss work. A week? A month? You were in pain for a long time, your leg still hurts. I could ask 10 more questions about that. Assessment of an appropriate settlement requires detailed analysis of liability and damages, including application of legal principles, evidentiary factors, medical documentation, out of pocket expenses, calculation of future losses and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. To answer the question properly, one would need extensive examination of all the evidence, particularly the medical records. Many people use this site to ask what their case is worth. Our answers are always: Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area. That is the best way to get the best settlement in your case
    You have given us much too little information to make even a wild guess. See some local personal injury attorneys and find out what they think. ?There is no charge for the initial visit.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    As to any wage loss or medical expenses, it is typical that you would have same paid/reimbursed by your own vehicle insurer per the MI No Fault law. As to your personal injuries/suffering/disfigurement, you may make a claim for same against the at fault owner(s)/driver(s) if you can prove negligence and that you have permanent, serious disfigurement and/or a serious impairment of a body function. It is probably smart to consult local counsel who regularly handles these type of claims for an analysis of the possible range of values of your particular claim. The information you gave in your question, although helpful, does not really allow any type of prediction of the value of any available 3rd party personal injury claim. Good luck.
    Almost every day we get a request for evaluation of a claim. We cannot respond to such a request, as there are simply too many elements to be considered. These include percentage of fault, age and health and background of the claimant, the nature of the injury, the treatment, the diagnosis, the prognosis, the cost of the treatment, and the outcome. Also to be taken into account in some cases are the amount and type of insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. Most attorneys offer a free conference. We suggest that you talk to a few lawyers. Also, you should know that an independent study showed that claimants did better, even after fees, with a lawyer than without.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Most of the time insurance companies will try to get unrepresented people to settle for a small portion of the value of their claim. More information is required to properly value your claim including the amount of your medical bills, the nature of your scarring, when do you reach maximum medical improvement and what disability a doctor may give you under the AMA guidelines. Based solely on what I am hearing your case is worth quite a bit more than you are being offered. They know that you cannot file a lawsuit properly without an attorney.
    Hobbs Law Group
    Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
    If your leg still hurts, it would not be wise to settle. You should seek out a personal injury attorney. Most of us offer free consultations and take cases on a contingency basis so there is no need to wait.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    It sounds as though your case is worth a lot more than $4,000 over the bills. I think you should bind a lawyer who represents people in personal injury cases to help you with your case. It could make a big difference in the amount of money you recover. The insurance company will never pay you the same amount of money that they would pay to you when you have a lawyer representing you. Keep in mind that the deadline for filing a case will be three years from the date of the accident.
    See an attorney, the settlement offer sounds low, as it normally is especially if there is no attorney involved.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    Depends upon if you mishandled your case. If you have a scar you should see a plastic surgeon and find out what would be involved in repairing the scar. If you treated with a chiropractor and your leg still hurts you should seek an orthopedist specialist or a neurologist to make sure there is not something more seriously wrong with you. However if you are not going to treat consistently, you should not pursue further medical care as the insurance company will deny your claim. If something is wrong, you owe it to yourself and your family to figure out if your injuries were caused by the collision. Reach out to a personal injury lawyer, the consultations are free.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    It would be necessary to review the facts of your case to determine what you might get out of your case. Your medical bills, and lost time from work would be important, and it would help to find out what type of scar and burns that you had also.
    Lavent Law
    Lavent Law | Boris Lavent
    The value of a personal injury case varies greatly depending upon the facts. I suggest that you contact a personal injury attorney to help maximize your recovery.
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm | Spencer E. Farris
    If you still have pain and problems from your injuries, it is premature to discuss a settlement. If you settle and then need surgery or worse, you can't go back and ask for more money. You should hire an attorney for a complicated matter like this.