What types of debts cannot be discharged by Chapter 7? 5 Answers as of November 03, 2010

I am thinking of filing for bankruptcy after a car accident that involved expensive damages and medical bills. I was wondering if I apply for Chapter 7 bankruptcy if it will discharge these debts or if they could be considered exceptions because they resulted from a lawsuit.

Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
Were you covered by insurance for the car accident? Usually the policy will cover the damages. Has a judgment been entered against you? Most judgments can be discharged through a Chapter 7.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
Generally, student loans and income taxes owed are not discharged. However, there are exceptions to these. Also, generally speaking, debts incurred as a result of a crime, or fraud cannot be discharged.
Ariano & Reppucci
Ariano & Reppucci | Chris Ariano
Most civil judgments are dischargeable in bankruptcy. If your accident did not involve alcohol there is a good chance it would be dischargeable.
A lawsuit doesn't change the dischargeability of a debt in bankruptcy. If you were intoxicated and at fault in the accident, then debts resulting therefrom would not be dischargeable.
The Shakoori Law Group
The Shakoori Law Group | Rachelle Shakoori
If it was a regular car accident that did not involve any criminal liability you should be able to discharge the debts resulting from it in a chapter 7.