What type of visa is required to spend these 6 months in the USA? 7 Answers as of September 11, 2014

I will be retiring soon at the age of 56. I like to travel. My retirement plan is to spend 6 months each year in the USA, 3 or 4 months in Europe, and go back home for the remainder of the year. Finances won't be an issue. I plan to rent (or if possible buy) an apartment, stay there for 3 months, and spend the remaining 3 months visiting other states.

Nouri Law Corporation
Nouri Law Corporation | Faith Nouri, Esq.
You are not clear. If you are a foreigner and you wish to visit or stay in US, you may do so by applying for a visitor or tourist visa. Otherwise, you may need to speak with an immigration attorney to obtain more information and inquire about your options.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
There is no retiree visa yet. Most people in this situation come in with a B-2 non-immigrant visa.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Try a tourist visa.
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
You would need a B-2 visitor for pleasure visa. It is advisable to have round-trip tickets and show your ties to your home country.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
The only visa available that will allow you to stay for up to 6 months is the B-2 tourist visa. You can apply at any US embassy or consulate.
    You would need a B2 nonimmigrant visa. You need to be careful about purchasing or renting an apartment as it can lead to a determination that you have immigrant intent. In addition, remaining in the United States for six months every year can also lead to issues with CBP.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Short of getting a green card, the only thing that you can do would be to get a visitor or B1/B2 visa. Upon entry, the maximum duration of stay is usually 6 months (although some exceptions apply), and you can request to extend your initial stay if you wish.