What type of attorney would I need to sue my ex-mortgage company for breach of contract and vendor negligence? 7 Answers as of November 22, 2013

My ex-mortgage company forced us into foreclosure due to them not honoring the adjusted monthly payment that was agreed to. We had to sell our home after fighting the bank for over a year. To add insult to injury, the Sheriff Dept. filed Sheriff Sale docs and took 10K from the proceeds of the sales of our home...AFTER we had a Sale Agreement and Settlement date.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pelsinger | Kenneth Pelsinger
you can sue both the services as well as the mortgage company for breach of contract
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/22/2013
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
If you can prove it, you have a good case for breach of contract against the mortgage company.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/18/2013
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
You need someone like me. I have a great many cases like yours. You should not let it slide.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/9/2013
Leaberry Law Firm
Leaberry Law Firm | John Leaberry
This firm has specialized in representing consumers aggrieved by banks and mortgage companies.
Answer Applies to: West Virginia
Replied: 10/9/2013
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
A lawyer acquainted with both foreclosure defense and lender-liability law should fill the bill. You may have to look in a large-ish city to find such a person. But if you fought in court and lost, you may not have the opportunity to sue the lender in a new lawsuit. Discuss all the facts with a skilled lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 10/9/2013
    Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
    Ideally, an attorney experienced in real estate law and litigation. The most important thing is to find an aggressive trial attorney with a lot of litigation experience who isn't afraid to go to trial if the case won't settle. Ask about the number of jury trials he/she has done and the results. Knowledge of the specific area of law (in this case foreclosure) is not as important as tenacity and litigation skills. Any good litigator can learn the subject matter.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/9/2013
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
    Your best bet is to find a real estate lawyer in your area who has experience with lender/broker liability cases. Such lawyers are paid by the hour and will often require payment of a large retainer upfront, which they bill against. Any such case will likely cost you tens of thousands of dollars to litigate. It is highly unlikely that you will find any lawyer who will take your case on a contingency.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: