What type of attorney handles work injury due to the company having me perform work that I'm not certified to perform? 22 Answers as of February 05, 2014

My company installs low voltage voice, data, security, video. Prior to installing low voltage LED lighting system, the company had us remove existing 277 volt light system which should have been performed by electricians not low voltage technicians. Result of company action caused me to be shocked by 277 volts and blown off ladder landing on right shoulder cutting tendons. I've been out of work 20 months so far.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
You need to immediately file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/5/2014
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Workers compensation attorney, and maybe personal injury attorney.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/30/2014
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You are covered by Workers' Compensation exclusively. You should look into whether there might be an additional claim for serious and willful misconduct, but I doubt it. Speak to a WC attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/28/2014
Strickland Law, PLLC
Strickland Law, PLLC | Jeffrey S. Strickland
You need an attorney that handles workers' compensation, as that is your only recourse against the company (unless the company intentionally meant for you to be injured. I presume you have such counsel since you have been out of work for twenty months.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 1/28/2014
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
It's Personal Injury law, but most PI lawyers wouldn't take such a case, because of workers' comp being an exclusive remedy. Two exceptions, however, are retaliatory discharge (firing) and intentional tort (intended wrongdoing). Both may apply in your case : 1) your boss requiring you to do something you're not supposed to do contains, I believe, a constructive threat of firing, given his position of authority over you; coupled with a reason he targeted you, rather than someone else, it may have be retaliatory; 2) requiring you to do something you weren't supposed to do was intentional, and wrong, so that it was an intentional tort per se. The specific facts should definitely be discussed, for potential pursuit.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/28/2014
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    1. Workers comp. 2. Personal injury. You have two potential claims.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    Doroshow, Pasquale, Krawitz & Bhaya | Donald E. Marston
    You need an attorney who specializes in worker's compensation claims. I have handled such claims for 30 years. There is a 2 year time limit on initiating these claims, so you need to move quickly.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    An attorney that handles workers compensation cases.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    You need a Workers' Compensation attorney. Under WC, it does not matter if the employer was negligent or if you were negligent. As long as you were injured while doing your job, you are covered. All of your medical should be covered and you should be receiving income EVERY WEEK, in about the same amount as your net paychecks when you were working. Once your injuries are healed, you are entitled to money to compensate you for the injury to your body. If you have to take a lower-paying job, they have to pay the difference until you turn 65. Find an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney on Law QA. Attorneys on Law QA want to help you but they are NOT permitted to solicit your business.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    You need an attorney that handles workers compensation.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    This is a workers compensation matter.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    The Law Offices of Tim O'Hare
    The Law Offices of Tim O'Hare | Tim O'Hare
    I am very sorry to hear about your injury and inability to work for the last 20 months. A personal injury attorney that handles non-subscriber cases is the kind of attorney you need. We handle these cases regularly and have been successful in resolving these cases for our clients. You are welcome to give me a call and we can discuss your case. You should avoid trying to handle something like this yourself. Hiring a reputable personal injury attorney will definitely give you the best chance to maximize your recovery and compensate you for your lost time from work, pain and suffering and anguish, as well as help to provide for your future. The phone call to us is free and we do not get paid unless we recover money for you.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You need a worker's comp attorney, but if you haven't filed a claim, it may be too late.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You will need a personal injury lawyer familiar with worker's comp and third party actions. You should look for one pronto if you are in Alabama, because you have 2 years to sue a third party from the date of the accident.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    If you were injured while at work, you are entitled to worker's compensation and should contact an attorney who handles same. IF your injury occurred while performing any sort of construction, repair, etc. you should contact an attorney to discuss the facts of the case to see if you have a labor law action.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/28/2014
    Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
    Workers' compensation attorney handles those issues.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 1/28/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney