What type of attorney do I need in accident without insurance case to defend me? 13 Answers as of July 17, 2013

The other party claims that she was injured (which I did not believe). She is trying to get some money for property damage and injury but she is going thru her uninsured motorist claim. Her insurance wants me to come to court to say my part of what happened on the day of the accident. She is also scheduled to come and say her part of the story of what happened on the day of the accident. We are scheduled at different times. Thanks a lot.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lapin Law Offices
Lapin Law Offices | Jeffrey Lapin
You need an attorney that represents people who allegedly cause automobile accidents. You likely will find attorneys that handle these cases by looking for attorneys that advertise or indicate they handle "insurance defense.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/6/2013
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
That does not sound like court. IN court normally everyone is there. It sounds more like they want a voluntary statement.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 1/8/2013
Law Offices of James D. Smith, LLC
Law Offices of James D. Smith, LLC | James D. Smith
If you are subpeonaed, then you must attend. If you are not subpeonaed, then it is up to you whether or not to attend. The other driver's insurance company may come after you if there is a judgement in the uninsured motorist case against the company and in favor of the other driver. The other driver has the Burden of Proof to show that the accident was caused by you.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 1/4/2013
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Probably any lawyer with experience in personal injury cases, including people who generally represent plaintiffs would be good for you. If you are the defendant, or a defendant, you will probably want to be present during the whole trial.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 1/4/2013
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
In California, no attorneys are allowed in small claims court. If it is not small claims court, you need an attorney who specializes in auto accidents. The fact that you do not have insurance inhibits your ability to collect general damages.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/4/2013
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    You need a competent insurance defense attorney, or a plaintiff's attorney that has had defense experience. You have to be nuts to operate a motor vehicle without insurance. In Michigan, you would be responsible for paying for the medical bills and other losses suffered by YOUR PASSENGERS, even if the accident was NOT your fault.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/3/2013
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    You were uninsured. The other driver had collision and uninsured motorist coverage. She has claimed with her insurer. Her insurer has apparently not agreed on her claimed injuries, so there is going to be a hearing. You would be asked to testify about the collision forces and what you observed of the other driver at the scene, or whatever contact you had with her after the day of the accident. Her insurer is going to pay her some money for the car and on the injury claim.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/3/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Any litigator can help you or any lawyer who spends a good bit of time in the district courts .
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 1/3/2013
    Multnomah Legal LLC
    Multnomah Legal LLC | Jeffrey K. Traylor
    If you are scheduled to testify at different times it is very likely that you have been subpoenaed for a "deposition" rather than trial. A deposition is where the attorney that issued the subpoena is given the opportunity to ask you whatever relevant questions they wish in order to learn your side of the story. You should treat it like a trial in that answers that you give at the deposition could later be used for trial. Many attorneys, including myself, will agree to limited representation agreements in order to represent you at the deposition only. You should be looking for a personal injury attorney or someone who specializes in civil litigation.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 1/3/2013
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    The attorney defending the uninsured motorist claim should be all you need. That attorney has a duty to the insurance company to zealously defend the case, which will also be defending your liability. If you want to hire your own attorney, you should find an attorney who does insurance defense work. If you call a personal injury attorney in your area, his/her staff can probably tell you who does personal injury defense work.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 1/4/2013
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP | Kevin Habberfield
    Just talk to your local civil attorney. If she is proceeding with an UIM claim, you likely don't need defense at all but, they can explain it to you.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/4/2013
    Law Office of Vincent D. Sowerby, P.C. | Vincent D. Sowerby
    You do not say whether you were subpoenaed to testify at a trial or if you are appearing voluntarily at a deposition. Were you food? Are you a party to this case? From what you have written I am unable to give you any advice other than to suggest that you call a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/17/2013
    Downing Law Firm | George E Downing. Jr.
    A general practice attorney can represent you. You may , however, need to consult a bankruptcy attorney on this matter.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 1/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney