What type of attorney do I need if I want to buy property privately? 20 Answers as of March 24, 2014

I am trying to determine what type of lawyer to contact if I want buy property privately so that my name would not appear on the paperwork and on Google as the owner of the property, to the extent that this is possible. Do I contact a trust attorney, to create some kind of trust, or do I contact a corporate attorney to create a corporation or LLC? Thank you very much.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You can do it a number of ways. Nevada is a great state for privacy laws. You could set up a Nevada limited liability company (LLC) even if the property is not in Nevada, and not list your name as a manager of the LLC.
Either would work.
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law | James Oberholtzer
Both of those methods would work although the trust would require a trustee. As a beneficiary of a trust, you are less likely to be known publicly.
Trust.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
Yes, a trust attorney could create a document and you can take title in the name of that trust.
    Robert E. Giffin | Robert E. Giffin CPA
    LLC or Trust both will work.
    I think you should speak with a Real Estate Attorney. Once you have purchased the property, you can decide whether the property should be held in a trust or by a corporate entity. That decision is a product of what you are using the property for.
    Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
    An estate planning attorney should be able to help you with either scenario. If you use a trust and you are the trustee your name will appear on the recorded documents and tax roll as the trustee. If you use an LLC the LLC's name is used. Be careful there may be some unintended tax consequences depending on your situation. The LLC will also require a separate tax return and an annual fee.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    It might be best to go to a larger firm which would have a trust attorney, a corporate attorney and a real property lawyer, and discuss possibilities. Your reasons for wanting to buy this way might mean different options will have different advantages. BTW, I didn't answer this question if you have some unlawful reason for wanting to buy this way.
    You can create trust or form an LLC where your name will not appear on property.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    You can contact an attorney that specializes in Real Estate.
    Strickland Law, PLLC
    Strickland Law, PLLC | Jeffrey S. Strickland
    Based upon your statement, a trust or entity could be proper. Many attorneys handle both entity formations and estate planning matters.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    What you are trying to accomplish may be next to impossible. The public records are very detailed and even if you bought the property through a corporation or LLC, people would be able to find your name associated with it. There are supposed "land trusts" set up, which I am not certain would be recognized in Michigan. I have never used one or seen one. Without knowing more about your concerns, it is impossible to give you additional information or suggestions.
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
    An attorney that handles both business and property matters would probably be your best bet.
    Neal M. Rimer, Esquire
    Neal M. Rimer, Esquire | Neal M. Rimer
    There are many ways in which to accomplish your goal. I think the important thing is to deal with someone who will take your estate, investments and goals in mind and deal with all those issues at one time. A more comprehensive look at all the issues and dealing with estate planning and the "business" and investment issues and creating a "plan" would result in both the liability protection, tax savings, income flow, maximizing your deductions, and distribution of property on death at the least cost to accomplish all your goals. Finding the right attorney for you to use is always a challenge. Perhaps you have friends or acquaintances who could make a recommendation. I suggest finding someone with the right background and experience to assist you.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    Contact a business attorney to look into setting up an LLC or Corporation to take title to the property. If someone does some digging, your name would probably be found eventually but the tax statements would go directly to the entity, not you.
    You can create an LLC or a corporation to hold property for you. However, most states require the name(s) of the person creating the entity in the registration documents which are usually posted on-line. An attorney with experience with real estate purchases can help you.
    You have a problem with LLCs and corporations because generally one member or incorporator's name must be on the filing form. I suppose the best way to do it is to establish a trust, maybe even a real estate investment trust. However, there is still no guarantee someone won't be able to find out that you control the trust. Also, if you are doing this to avoid creditors or hide assets, I don't think it will work, because you would still have to disclose your ownership interest in the entity or beneficial interest in the trust.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    In Illinois you can own real property through a Land Trust. Any real estate lawyer can help you set one up. If you are trying to protect assets from future creditors you will need to establish an asset protection trust. These are highly specialized and you will need an estate planning lawyer.
    Contact an estate planning attorney to create a trust for you to make the acquisition.