What is the timing of the K1 visa? 3 Answers as of February 08, 2011

My boyfriend and I (of 2 years) are planning to get married. I am a citizen and I am a college student. I do not have a job but I do receive annuity checks (monthly and yearly) can that be used as a form of support for him? We both want to wait until he is up here to get married and pick out a home together as a newlywed couple. I want to know how long will it take to get him from Jamaica to Florida. I want to time it so that he will be up here just in time for my college graduation, and we can go from there to getting a home and married.

No way to predict a time frame for the issuance of a K-1 visa. If your annuity checks amount to 125% of the federal U.S. poverty level for a family your size, that should be sufficient.
Check www.uscis.gov for processing time. More importantly, you want to make sure your petition is approvable, which requires due diligence so that your petition will not be denied. Work with a lawyer. We are in Florida, you are welcome to contact us.
Always hard to predict exactly but likely to be 7-12 months to get here on a K-1 fianc visa. If your income is not in excess of about $19,000 you will likely need a co-sponsor. Feel free to call me to get the process started, advise on the procedures, fees, and timing.