What is the time frame for a fiance or spouse visa? 6 Answers as of January 21, 2011

What is the time frame for a fiance visa versus a spouse visa? I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is in Pakistan, would marrying her expedite the process? Or shall I do a fiance visa. I am seeking the least impacting way to get her back to the USA considering she had already visited on a scholarship and reported back to Pakistan before the visa expired.

Time frames for processing are probably about the same for each.
Two years after the marriage your spouse can apply for an i-130 and get a visa for you.

Between now and then you can apply for a student visa tourist visa or work visa.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Processing for both (Spouse / fianc visa) have about the same time frame. Allocate between 8-15 months. Good luck.
Time period is identical currently so immigrant visa advised as you can skip the expense of the adjustment after U.S. marriage and filing with yet another government agency. We would be happy to assist you through the process. Contact me as indicated below and I will advise fees, procedures and timing for the various steps.
A K-1 fiance visa petition (I-129F) will take less time than filling an I-130 petition if you get married. Generally, the K-1 visa process takes 6 to 9 months, while the I-130 process takes 9-12 months. On average, your fiance would be able to come to the U.S. sooner, especially if you consider that you have to return to Pakistan, get married, and they return to the U.S. to file the I-130 petition.
    I estimate that if you are organized and work with a competent immigration attorney, that it is often 8-12 months. However, processing really depends upon several factors. For one, your DHS jurisdiction. All cases are filed in Chicago but then transferred to one of four service centers. Then the case is transferred to the National Visa Center- a disorganized agency at best. Timing there will depend on how quickly you can file and if every single form and document meets their requirements. Thirdly, processing depends upon the US consulate you use- each has different processing times.