What stepsshould I take before turning myself in on an arrest warrant? 11 Answers as of December 11, 2013

I have an arrest warrant. I am out of state and want to turn myself in on an arrest warrant. Who should I talk to before hand and how do I do it? Is it good to jump off the plane and just turn myself in?

Retain an attorney, so you are not in jail trying to communicate and interview attorneys.
You should hire a lawyer and have that person go with you, when you turn yourself in.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Retain a good lawyer to surrender you to the police. You will be booked and mugged and appear in front of a judge who may or may not set bail and you need a lawyer for that arraignment.
IT Forensics, Inc.
IT Forensics, Inc. | Christopher K. Steuart
In general you should contact and attorney who works in that court. He can arrange for a warrant quash hearing and assist in arranging to have bail and advise you on when to turn yourself in, to minimize chances of having to go into custody or minimize time in custody.
You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later. You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without you present, so it is less risky for you.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    If you want to have some negotiation done before you turn yourself in, you should hire an attorney to discuss the matter with the prosecutor. If you intend to turn yourself with without preliminary discussions, it is generally best to do so early in the morning to ensure that you are taken before a judge on the same date. If you know that you will be held on a bail you cannot make, it really doesn't matter when you turn yourself in.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    If misdemeanor, an attorney can handle it for you. Otherwise should find out from attorney who practices there whether nudge is likely to put you in jail.
    Turning yourself in will cause you to remain in jail. Best to have a lawyer set it up to arrange for you to turn self in and get out faster.
    I would provide the details to an attorney in the jurisdiction where you are wanted and follow their advice.
    If there is a warrant out for your arrest you may not even be able to get on the plane without being detained. Contact a lawyer in the area where your warrant is to see if they can arrange a time for you to come in and turn yourself in and be arraigned on the warrant. Most courts have certain days and times where they do walk-in arraignments. You want to secure experienced criminal representation before proceeding with anything else.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    You really should contact an attorney in the state and county where your warrant is. If you turn yourself in without an attorney, they will put you in the local jail and you will sit there until the Judge who issued the warrants has time to review your case and decide whether to issue a bond or not. With an attorney, they can file a Motion to Recall the Warrant and schedule a hearing at which time you turn yourself in, are processed and generally released the same day if you have the bond money.