What steps need to be taken to get a home loan in my name? 7 Answers as of April 01, 2013

Boyfriend purchased home, but does not live in it. The girlfriend lives in it and her name is also on the title. (But not the mortgage) they have now broken up, what steps does she need to take to get a loan to keep the home, even though her name is on the title.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
She probably should approach the current lender first. If they won't cooperate, she should find another lender and buy the boyfriend's portion so that the title is in her name only.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/1/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Find a reputable mortgage company, or 2 or 3 and find out if you qualify for a loan to pay off the present mortgage. Then you will own the home and owe for it.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 2/28/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
He will have to sell her the home which she will need to get a mortgage in her name alone to finance.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/28/2013
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
You will need to go to a bank and apply for a mortgage. This means you will need to qualify for the loan. The loan will have to be in an amount which will cover the existing mortgage as well, unless there is some way to treat it like a modification. In addition, you obviously will need the other person on the deed, your boyfriend, or ex boyfriend, to sign off on the deal and somehow deed his interest to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/28/2013
Neil J. Lehto, Esq.
Neil J. Lehto, Esq. | Neil J. Lehto
She doesn't need a loan. She needs him to quit claim the house to her so if she continues to make payments, he doesn't later claim his half interest from her.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/28/2013
Click to View More Answers: