What steps do I need to take to make my boyfriend a legal immigrant? 6 Answers as of January 08, 2011

Basically what do I need to do for my boyfriend to become legal. And how much money should I have before doing all this. Is there any way we can get married and go from there? I mean we do have a 2year old son together and have been together for 4 years. He does have an order for deportation way back from Texas like 4 or 5 years ago. And he was locked up one time in Virginia but they let him go even though he had an order for deportation. Is there any way without him going back to El Salvador to become legitimate even if it takes time?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
It is going to depend how he entered the United States. If he entered legally he needs to reopen his case in the immigration court by filing a joint motion to reopen. If he entered illegally he would need to go to the consulate in his country to apply for a visa and will likely also need a waiver.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/8/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I hope that I can be of help to you. You cannot sponsor your boyfriend in a petition for alien relative, of course. You must marry first, then file a I-130 petition for alien relative. That may be approved, but he is still in a position of not having permission to file for adjustment of status, as an undocumented, unless he obtains a waiver of inadmissibility. You will definitely have to tell me what offense he was in jail for in Virginia, some offenses disqualify him from obtaining even eligibility to apply for waiver and adjustment of status, some don't. The fees will range by the government from $2,420 to $2,840, it is expensive. And the attorneys fees will range from $3,500 or higher, depending on the difficulty, though mine may be considerably less. If you want to discuss this case at greater length, contact me by e-mail or phone, to set up a consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/6/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
First if you marry you can file an I-130 to get him a visa. This costs $1100.00

But the earlier deportation order is a problem. If not a felony conviction or domestic violence conviction then you have a fighting chance.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 12/27/2010
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If you would like a paid consultation to discuss the specifics of your case further give us a call.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/22/2010
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You really, really need to consult with a competent immigration attorney in your area who specializes in deportation and removal law. Your boyfriend is not in a good situation and either may be ineligible at this time or else will need to file a motion to reopen his case in the jurisdiction where the order was given.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/22/2010
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
    You have a complex situation that really requires you and your boyfriend to consult with an immigration attorney in person to explore your options. Most charge $100 for an initial one hour consultation and will be able to tell you whether there is anything that can be done to help
    your boyfriend legalize his status based on your marriage. It will depend upon whether he made a legal entry into the country, the nature of his deportation order, whether he got proper notice of it, the nature of his criminal record, and other factors and considerations, which are
    not provided in your fact pattern. The best attorneys to consult with are those who are members of AILA, the American Immigration Lawyers Association, a professional association of attorneys who concentrate their practice in immigration law.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 12/22/2010
Click to View More Answers: