What steps do I need to take so that I actually have something to live on and pay my bills? 1 Answers as of April 04, 2016

I went to use my debit card today and it said it was declined. I then checked my bank app and it said that I was negative for about $14,000. I thought it was a fraud thing so I contacted my bank. The operator told me that a collection agency had levied my bank account. I’m freaking out because I’m a student and barely making $200 dollars a week and at the time I had about $100 dollars in my checking account. I have been saving up about $2000 in my savings. It was all gone. They transferred me to the collection agency, and a guy from the agency told me that they have levied my account because of a failure to make payments on a credit card debt back in 2012. The amount back in 2012, I remember was between $3000 and $4000. He said something about the amount doubling, and what not but I couldn't really understand why it got to even negative $14,000. I asked him what steps I need to take if I want my bank account unlevied and he said that the legal department or something has to file some paperwork, and that I need to set up a payment plan. I told him okay. I want to do the payment option so I can unfreeze my account. I set up a date, and he told me that's it. Now, I have to wait. But I don’t know what I am waiting for. How long will it take and such and if I will get any of that money back? Should I hire an attorney?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
1. There is a $4,000 exemption applicable to a bank account. You need to file a motion to release the funds or appear on the return date. 2. If you were not served, obtain a copy of the court file and look at the "Return of service". If you can prove you were not served (corroboration is required for anything the process server could observe) then you should move to vacate the judgment, or hire an attorney for that purpose. 3. Consider filing bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/4/2016
Click to View More Answers: