What steps do I need to follow to bring my fiance here to the US? 8 Answers as of November 14, 2011

I'm a permanent resident card holder. I'm trying to bring my fiancee to the USA. What steps/ paper work do I have to follow to get him a visa?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
As a permanent resident, you cannot petition your fiance. You will need to be a US citizen to do so.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/14/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You should get citizenship first and then apply for her.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2011
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
You need to petition for a K1 fiance visa. Once he's in the US, get married within 90 days, then start the adjustment process to make him a permanent resident.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/4/2011
Perez Immigration Law Firm
Perez Immigration Law Firm | Philip Joseph Perez
You have to be a U.S. citizen to sponsor a fiance for a visa. You can go to his country and get married, then file a visa petition for him. Processing for this application will take some time since you are not yet a citizen.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 11/4/2011
Law Office of John Vandenberg
Law Office of John Vandenberg | John Vandenberg
A U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident cant apply for a fiancé, only a U.S. Citizen. So the first thing you need to do is become a U.S. citizen. How long have you been a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident? If you feel confident in your English skills and are willing to study, Philadelphia is processing Naturalization Applications in about 3 months. After that, you could petition for your fiancé.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 11/4/2011
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    You must be a U.S. citizen to petition for your fiancé to receive a fiancé visa. You can marry your fiancé outside the United States. After you are married, you can file an immigrant visa petition for your spouse. Your spouse cannot remain in the United States without valid immigration status. Your spouse cannot adjust his or her status here if you are only a lawful permanent resident. He or she will also not be issued a non-immigrant visa while the petition is pending. The process will take about 2-3 years depending upon visa availability. If during the process you become a U.S. citizen, the petition will be upgrade to an immediate relative petition and a visa will become immediately available to your spouse.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 11/4/2011
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
    A fiancé of a Permanent Resident is not entitled to a fiancé visa. There may be other nonimmigrant options for you to pursue but we would need to evaluate your fiancés skills, education, and work experience and ability to find a sponsor here. If you were to marry abroad you could petition for the fiancé, but this would only give him a place in line in the FB-2a queue as this category is backed up several years.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/4/2011
    Fong & Associates
    Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
    There is no visa for the fiance of a permanent resident. There is an immigrant (green card) petition as an FB-2A, but the priority date backlog is about 3 years.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 11/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: