What steps can we take to get my boyfriend citizenship? 9 Answers as of August 10, 2011

My boyfriend has been here illegally for 10 yrs. We've been together for 5 and now have a baby on the way what steps can we take so he can get a green card. He does have a grandmother and an & aunt that lives here legally. He has never worked since he's been here nor had a social or any other documentation. What can we do ?

The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
You will have to marry him, get a no objection waiver for his current illegal status, then petition for him to become legal.
You will need to see an immigration attorney. I assume you are planning to get married. If so, depending on certain events, he may have to go to his home country and apply for a waiver. But see an immigration attorney before making a decision. These kind of cases are complicated and unfortunately, a lot of people rely on "notarios" advice and end up nowhere.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
He might be eligible to apply for a green card IF he entered the U.S. with a visa, you are a U.S. Citizen, and you marry. He otherwise cannot obtain legal status without leaving the U.S. If he leaves the U.S., he might not be able to return for 10 years because of his illegal presence. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney before he takes any steps.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You can see an immigration lawyer and determine if he is eligible for either cancellation of removal. He would need 10 years of provable physical presence and the ability to show that you and your baby will suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship in the event of his removal. This analysis is generally very case specific.
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
With no criminal record and no prior entries, consular processing would be my recommendation, after you file an I-130 for him. I'm assuming no immigration "history." "It's always smart to get a second opinion.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    Please always specify your own immigration status as that makes a big difference. Assuming you are US citizen or US permanent resident, he may file for cancellation of removal in immigration court. But this type of relief is very difficult to get so professional advise and representation are highly recommended.
    IF you boyfriend was admitted and inspected when he entered the U.s. and you are a U.S. citizen then you can petition for him.
    It sounds like you have a very tough case here. More information is needed for better assessment, such as how he became illegal? did he have criminal record. What is your immigration status? Do you plan to marry him? Overall, this is not an easy case for anyone to handle.
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
    After you get married, you can petition for him.