What steps can I take to get full custody of our child? 3 Answers as of July 16, 2012

I am a mother of 2 children, but my daughter stays with her dad, which means he is the custodial parent of her and I pay child support to him. It has been several years since the battle of my child. We went to a mediator in the past and he asked for custody of her. After all the court hearings, protective orders, and emotional abuse, I want to take him back to court and get full custody of my child. What steps can I take to make this happen?

The Cross Firm, P.C.
The Cross Firm, P.C. | Leslie Warren Cross, Jr.
You will have to file a Motion to Modify the existing Order in Place as it relates to custody.
The Law Office of Eric J Smith
The Law Office of Eric J Smith | Eric Smith
You must file a Motion to Modify order you are currently working under. It should be a year or more since the last final order, unless there has been a substantial material change in your situation. You will have to show why it is in the best interest of your child that the order be modified.
Nwokoye Law Firm
Nwokoye Law Firm | Violet Nwokoye
The first step will be to file a motion to modify the current order you have, assuming your ex is the primary custodian in the order. I will strongly recommend you talk to an attorney first to determine what your chances are based on all the changed circumstances you will disclose to the attorney.