What steps can I take on a car damage dispute if my daughter drove and damage the car that her friend took from her mother? 7 Answers as of April 22, 2014

My daughter’s friend age 16 took her mother’s car. My daughter age 16 has no license was the one driving and wreck the side of vehicle. The mother of my daughter’s friend has no insurance so we came to an agreement to pay half on the damage. On the day of getting the car fixed the mother changes her mind and told me she is not paying because my daughter wrecks the car. I would like to know what my next step is.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Sadly, the part of the brain that says, ?bad idea? is the last to develop; often as late as the early twenties. I think you are on the hook. The joys of parenting.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2014
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
You need to end your daughters friendship with this idiot.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/21/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Pay her the one-half you agreed to pay. She could report the matter to the police that your daughter was driving without a license, but that is another matter.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/18/2014
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Sounds like you had a settlement agreement. You will have to try and enforce it. You can get a lawyer or have the matter handled in court without one.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/18/2014
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Sorry - not a patent law question.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 4/18/2014
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler
    Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
    You have limited steps without a written contract where she agreed to pay anything. Your best option would be to file a law suit in small claims to force her into honoring the agreement. You can contact your local city hall to obtain the documents to file the small claims suit.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/18/2014
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Always pay for the damage you cause. Use to be an American tradition.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 4/18/2014
Click to View More Answers: