What is the statute of limitiation on withholding tax? Posted on May 01, 2011

My husband passed in 2007. He, at one time had a small company. He was the president and I was listed then as secretary, treasurer. In 1996 I took myself away from the company. I now get a call from the MI dept of Collections for withholding taxes from 1998-2000. I told the woman that I had distanced myself from the company in late 1990s. She states that I am listed as secretary, treasurer. This lady says I need his death certificate and a release of liability to company. It has been since 1996. I cannot find this form. My old attorney doesn't keep this stuff longer than 5 years and states the he doesn't know the statute of limitations. All I have been able to find is a form titled Mi dept of consumer and industry services. Bureau of consumer services corporate division PROFIT Mi domestic corporation information update. This 1996 form lists my late husband as president, secretary and treasurer. !. Can they do this to me? 2. Will a copy of this form suffice as I do not know what a release of company liability form is nor can I find anything like it in the few papers that are remaining from this failed company. I cannot afford this or a lawyer as I am on my own and barely making it now. Any advice would be wonderful.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: