What is the statute of limitations on past due rent? 4 Answers as of May 29, 2013

What is the statue of limitations on past due rent, late fees and damages in the state of Michigan.
I had a joint lease with three other girls two years ago and one girl has yet to pay her share and now the company is taking us to court. Is there anything the rest of us can do to protect ourselves? (Besides paying her balance of 1,300)

Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
No.
Olson Law Firm | Edward M Olson
The general statute of limitations on breach of contract cases is six years. The landlord may bring a lawsuit to collect rent up to six years from the date the rent payment was due. You have a claim against the joint tenant called "contribution". You would have to get that money from the joint tenant yourself.
Vandervoort, Christ & Fisher, P.C. | James E. Reed
That would be 6 years.
Sadly for yourselves, the statute of limitations on a contract as well over two years. If you send a joint lease each individual signing is liable for the entirety of the rent. It is impossible to give firm advice given the fact that I have not reviewed the contract. If the matter must go to court, you should engage in attorney and seek to have the court order not only payment to the landlord but also that the individual who has lost far failed to pay be adjudged to have to repay any person who has been compelled to meet the obligation.