What is the statute of limitations on a felony possession charge? 6 Answers as of October 19, 2011

I just received a letter from the DA charging me with possession for a traffic stop that happened a year ago. The night I was stopped the cop told me if i would help them he would not arrest me. He took the evidence and gave me a name and number to call. When I called the officer told me that he said he would be in touch. I never heard from them again and now I'm being charged.Is this legal?

Deals with jut cops are almost never enforceable. Hire an attorney.
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
Unfortunately, yes. The DA has two years to file most felony charges.
Sounds like the cop made you one of those "street deals" ie. give us info on some other folks and we will let you go. If you never did give them any info you might be screwed. Anyhow you really need a lawyer for this one.
The statute of limitations on the crime you stated is three years. It sounds as though the police wanted you to work for them as a confidential informer. Because the statute of limitations has not run on your alleged criminal act you can be arrested and charged. Your attorney can make a defense for you out of the facts you gave. Consult with an attorney as soon as you can and talk to no one except your attorney about this incident.
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
In general, the statute of limitations for a felony drug possession is 3 years.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens fairly frequently. An officer does not have the authority to decide who to file charges against, that is the DA's job. The officer's job is to investigate and collect evidence, and make an arrest where probable cause exists. Too many times, I've heard that an officer told a person they would not be arrested, or they would just be let go, if they cooperate, only to have the officer change his mind. To answer your question, yes, this is legal. In felony matters, other than more serious ones such as murder, etc, the District Attorney has 3 years to file charges (from the date of incident). Unfortunately you are now looking at these charges so you should now be looking to hire an attorney if you can afford it to begin to build a defense.