What is the Statute of Limitations on credit card debt if its over 3 years? 8 Answers as of January 08, 2014

I am being sued by a firm for a debt that is over 3 years old. The research I have done online says that the statute of limitations for a credit card debt is 3 years. Can they legally sue me over this debt?

Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Statute of Limitations in Indiana for credit card debt is typically 6 years.
In Nevada it is six years from the last payment made.
William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
In your response to the suit, state the statute of limitations as an affirmative defense. If you don't list this in your answer, you could waive that defense.
In California the statute of limitations for a written contract (and a credit card agreement is deemed such) is four years. They can sue you, but many times the debt has been passed on to a firm that has little or no evidence of the underlying debt. You should answer any complaint you are served.
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
Statute of limitations is controlled by State law. In Connecticut it is 6 years. Statute of Limitations runs from the date of last payment.
    NY is 6 year statute of limitations for credit card debt.
    Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
    People can do whatever they want. If you believe the statute of limitations has expired, you need to assert that as a defense to their lawsuit. Usually, the contractual statute of limitations is 6 years. Torts are usually 3 years.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    In Illinois, the statute of limitations is five years. Some states will apply the statute of the creditor's incorporation or principal location, which often may be 3 years (Delaware, for example). Illinois applies the law of the forum unless neither party was a resident of Illinois when the cause of action accrued.