What is the statute of limitations in Illinois? Posted on June 19, 2011

Currently I have a friend serving out the remainder of a 10 year sentence in a Virginia state penitentiary. He currently has one year left to go before he is free man. While conducting an online search, I found he had an outstanding warrant in the state of Illinois (currently listed as active) from charges dating back to 1997 for a class-3 felony, retail theft. Back then he went to the arraignment, pleaded not guilty and the case was continued for a future date. That was the only time he went to court for that charge. Since the charge in 1997 he was picked up in 2003 for a probation violation and sent to serve out the remainder of his sentence (unrelated charge) in Virginia state penitentiary. Virginia contacted Illinois and informed them they had him in custody and Illinois did nothing. My questions are: How can I get Illinois to remove this information? Isn't there a statute of limitations of three years for which to prosecute him? Any info would greatly be appreciated!