What is the statute of limitations for fraud? 3 Answers as of July 19, 2011

I was arrested for fraud, served time, been released from probation and required to pay restitution for a large sum of money per month. Is there a statute of limitations or is there a way to come to an agreement on an amount to stop paying the restitution? What happens if I stop paying altogether? Should I hire a lawyer to resolve this since my co-defendant didn't have to pay restitution?

Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux | Scott Tibbedeaux
The statute of limitations for fraud is 3 years. You should contact the lawyer that handled the case originally in regards to the restitution options available to you.
Statute? You have a court order to pay. If you violate that probation order, the court can revoke your probation and return you to jail for the original sentence. You could hire counsel to file a motion to amend the probation order and sentence, if you could, should legal good cause and changed circumstances sufficient to persuade a judge to do so.
No there isn't. Since you plead guilty, you have to pay, and if you don't, you will be in violation of probation, which could be tolled perpetually as long as the restitution isn't fully paid off.