What is the statute of limitations for a DUI in Utah? 1 Answers as of January 14, 2011

My son in law was recently charged for a DUI he received 15 years ago. He was also charged with numerous minor unrelated offenses also from many years back. After deliberating they informed him they would drop the minor charges and charge him $1000.00 for the DUI, & if he is delinquent on his fine they will reinstate the dropped charges. My son in law is not a criminal who is in & out of jail. He is a hard working husband & father. He had problems in the past but that was a long time ago. It just doesn't feel right to me & I'm not familiar with this area of the law. Will you please help me? Then we will at least no if we have any options.

Crippen & Cline, LC
Crippen & Cline, LC | Stephen Howard
The statute of limitations on a DUI is much less than 15 years. The problem may be that the prosecutor filed the charges long ago, and the case has just been sitting inactive for a long time. The situation sounds complicated and he should really have the help of a lawyer. Has he already entered a plea? Was this in a justice court or district court? Did he have a lawyer at all (even a public defender)? The sooner he talks to a lawyer, the better. If he has already entered a plea, there may be time deadlines he might miss if he waits.