What is the statute of limitations for collecting rent? 7 Answers as of July 11, 2013

What is the statute of limitations on collecting past due rent when the rent owed is over $10,000?

Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
It really depends - some SOL are waivable, some are not. Some can be limited or expanded by contract, others cannot.
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
In California there is a 4 year statute of limitations for rent due under a written lease.
Six years in the State of New York. Unless the lease provides for a shorter period of limitations. Please note the following necessary legal disclaimer: I have not given legal advice. I only give advice to my clients. I am not acting as your attorney. I have not yet agreed to represent you. Anything I have said is based on limited information and may be subject to change as more facts become known. Attorneys express opinions. Attorneys often disagree. If you want further information or independent verification of anything I have said then you should immediately consult another attorney. Never sit on your rights! I am admitted to practice law in New York State only and cannot practice law in any other State.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
In Colorado, actions for arrears of rent have a six year statute of limitation. Periods of limitation depending upon what state the cause of action arose in (in this case, the state the leased property is in).
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
It would depend on whether the lease agreement was written or oral. In Connecticut a written contract has a six year statute while an oral agreement has a three year statute.