What is the statute of limitation for a credit card company to sue? 12 Answers as of December 10, 2013

I have been made aware that a credit card company is going to take me to court to pay the old charges. This charge goes back to 2002. I am not able to and no way to earn money. I am 91 years old.

Six years from the date of the last payment.
6 years.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
If you have no money, no assets, and no income aside from social security, pension, or retirement plan income, you have nothing to worry about. They can't get anything from you anyway. Regardless, they have 5 years to sue from the date that you breached the agreement to pay the credit card, if they do not possess the written agreement you have with them. If they do have it, then they have 10 years to sue.
In Michigan the statute runs out six years after your last payment on the debt. Confer with an attorney with the details.
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
The statute of limitations is 6 years. The 6 years starts on the date of default of the payments, not the date you borrowed the money. There are items than can extend the statute (such as your living in another state). You should definitely get accurate information and see an attorney about filing an answer to the suit.
    Law Offices of Craig B. Friedberg, Esq. | Craig Friedberg
    Most state statutes are less than 11 years. Here is a link to a table for statutes of limitations. Use it as a start to find out which one is applicable in your state. http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/collectible-expiration-date-old-debt-statute-1282.php
    Timothy Casey Theisen, P.A. | Tim Theisen
    The statute of limitations is six years from when you last used the card or made a payment. But they probably won't sue if they know you are 91 years old and have no assets. You might want to send them a letter explaining this, stressing that you are judgment proof. Otherwise ignore them and block their calls.
    Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
    Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
    Four years from the breach. (or when you failed to make your last payment). If they are threatening to sue you on this, you need an attorney to inform them they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    In Illinois, 5 years, measured from default or last payment, whichever is later.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    6 years from your last payment.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    Let them know about your age. If they came after you, contact an attorney some may handle it for free, assuming you are in RI.