What status should I file taxes as if my spouse does not have an income? 3 Answers as of March 15, 2011

This past November 2010 I got married and now I'm trying to do taxes but I do not know how should I file, because my husband has nothing to file so he cannot. And also, he owes back child support and I want to know, will that have any effect on my taxes.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
You should file married filing separately to avoid having any refund that you may be entitled to taken for his child support. Also, note that the trade-off here is that your tax liability will be higher filing MFS rather than jointly. But to avoid his liability you have no choice.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 3/15/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You should file as individual but married as it will separate your income from your husband and prevent any issues.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 3/15/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
You should file married joint. The back child support may affect any refund you may have if the Service chooses to do so.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: