What states have a zero tolerance law for drinking and driving? 22 Answers as of July 11, 2013

Do any U.S. states have a zero-tolerance law for citizens aged 21 and older? In other words, are there any states that do not allow you to consume any alcohol before you drive, even if you are 21?

NY is a zero-tolerance state. I do not know what other states also have zero tolerance laws since I am only admitted to practice law in NY and not any other states. Also I know of no state where you can drink and drive while under the influence on matter how old you are.
Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
No.
Every state has a legal limit law as to consumption of alcohol.
In New York you cannot drive with .02 or more BAC while the adult lever is .08.
Each State will have specific laws concerning drinking and driving. They may be similar in content but differ in approach, or they may be substantially the same. You would be better served by narrowing down your search to the specific State you are going to be.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    States with zero tolerance DWI laws in the US are: Texas, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona, Alaska, Utah, Oregon, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, Maine, Oklahoma as well as Washington D.C.
    The Woods Law Firm
    The Woods Law Firm | F.W. Woods Jr.
    Technically, all states have laws against drinking and driving. The only difference is what constitutes the legal limit. It generally ranges from a .08 to a .10. I cannot think of any state which has a range as low as .01 which is the point at which intoxication or blood alcohol level is measured.
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    I don't know of any, but I only practice in Georgia, which does not have zero tolerance.
    I am only licensed to practice in Michigan. If you want to know about other states, you need to contact lawyers in those States.
    Without doing research into the laws of each state, a definitive answer cannot be made. However, most states use the 0.08 blood alcohol level for drunk driving.
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
    Some states may have a zero tolerance statute for drinking and driving and you can find that information on Google.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    To my knowledge, there are no states with zero tolerance as you put it. Alcohol is a legal substance and I don't think you will ever see a law that says you cannot have a legal substance in you while you drive. It is only if that substance impairs your ability to drive that it will be an illegal act.
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson | Christopher L. Jackson
    I think every state has a 0.08 BAC level to be considered driving impaired. However, if a person is under 21, it is only 0.02 I have even seen cases where the prosecutor has charged people that had a breath test under 0.08.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    All states have zero tolerance for crimes. Some foreign countries do, but there are no US states that have zero BA rules for adults, except by specific court order for previously convicted DUIers. The BA level states allow varies for presumptive DUI. In CA it is .08%. It used to be .10%. You can be convicted in any state with zero BA, based upon police officer testimony of impaired driving. That is typical for drug induced impairment.
    Castleberry & Elison
    Castleberry & Elison | Peter Castleberry
    To the best of my knowledge, there are no states that have zero-tolerance DUI laws applicable to adults that criminalize driving with *any* amount of alcohol in the blood stream. However, the DUII laws in the State of Oregon (and I would assume every other state) are "zero-tolerance" when it comes to driving under the influence of alchohol. If you drive while impaired to a noticeable and perceptible degree, you are guilty of DUII under Oregon law regardless of your BAC.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    All states have laws against drinking and driving. Most states have a legal limit of 0.08 BAC. This means that if you blow that amount or higher you will be arrested. However, some states, including Pennsylvania, allow for arrests and convictions with officer observations allow. Be on the safe side and just don't drive if you have any alcohol. It's not worth the risk and can cost you thousands.
    I'm only familiar with Washington State Law. However, as a former prosecutor my understanding is that no one under the age of 21 can drive with a breath-alcohol concentration of .04 or greater. However, in the State of Washington, an underage drinker can also be charged with Minor in Possession of Alcohol even if it has only been consumed. As far as I know, no such restrictions apply to people over 21. Again, as far as I know it is legal to drink a minimal amount of alcohol and drive but who wants to risk drinking and driving and the consequences of being wrong about one's breath-alcohol content?
    Doubtful. But we only know the law of Michigan.
    I believe the limit in all states is .08. That means you can consume some alcohol are still be able to drive legally, but not very much. It varies depending on the person and how often that person drinks, if that had anything to eat, what their height and weight is. However, it's better to not drink and drive at all as it's not worth risking a costly DUI or worse yet injuring or killing another person.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    I don't know of any state with a zero tolerance for drivers over 21.