What state do I have to file for divorce? 3 Answers as of July 20, 2011

I was married in 2008 in Az, my 'wife' moved out of the country. I was able to track her down which she gave me the marriage license and nothing else and told me to take care of it and that she wants no part of it. I now live in Tx. Can I file for divorce in Tx or do I have to go to Az?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
You can file in Texas as long as you have lived here for at least six months.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/20/2011
Donaldson Stewart, PC
Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
You can only file in AZ if one of the parties has resided here for at least 90 days prior to filing. If you moved out of AZ more than 90 days ago, you will need to file based on the residency requirements of the state where you currently reside.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/20/2011
Law Office of Tim W. Avery
Law Office of Tim W. Avery | Tim W. Avery
A divorce needs to be file in the state in which one of the parties resides in and has met the residency requirements for that state, not the state in which the marriage took place. For Texas, the period of time to meet the residency requirement is six months. Therefore, if you have resided in Texas for at least six months, then you will need to file in the State of Texas.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: