What stamp do I need on my visa to travel to the US? 5 Answers as of July 12, 2013

I am done with my H4 stamping from India and about to travel at end of June 2011. My employer wants me to stamp my B1 and attend meetings with client for few months starting from August 2011. If I get my B1 stamped before June 2011, can I travel to the US (state 'X') on H4 in June and travel on B1 in Aug (from state 'X' to state 'Y'). If not now, can I get my B1 be stamped while I am in the US on H4 and travel through? Also how will B1 stamping affect my H4 visa in any of the above cases?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
You are allowed to have more than one visa in your passport. The visa you use for entry determines what you are allowed to do while in the US and how long you can stay. To enter as a B-1, you will need documentation to show you are truly a B-1 business visitor and not working in the US. You generally will need to show evidence that you are being paid outside the US.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/8/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I think you are giving yourself a headache for no reason. Neither of those statuses will allow you to work in the US. If you are entitled to a H-4 status (assuming your spouse or parent is a H-1B), you get to come the US the same. While on H-4 Status, you may not work without USCIS authorization. However you may attend meetings and seminar and the rest of so long as it is not for remuneration in the US. If you must, then apply with USCIS and explain the circumstances; you never know. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/7/2011
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC | Charles Kuck
When does your spouse's H-1B start?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/12/2013
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You are only allowed to be in one status at a time and it would be rare for the consulate to allow you to have two different visas). If you enter in one status you are then eligible to change to any other status for which you qualify. If you do have two visas then leave the U.S. and re-enter on the B-1 for the later activities. To change back to H-4 you will need to leave again or change status. It may be possible to accomplish both purposes while on H-4 but this would need to be determined with more facts. We would be happy to assess his case, advise more specifics on the procedures, timing and fees if you want to set up a consultation (in person or by phone) with me as indicated below. We do charge for consultation but the consultation fee is then credited 100% toward the fees for your case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Why would you want a B visa instead of an H4? You can only be admitted on one visa at a time. If you activate a different visa, your prior visa is terminated. You do not need a visa to travel within the United States.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: