What should we expect if my 16 year old daughter made an illegal u-turn and was hit? 3 Answers as of April 01, 2015

My daughter is 16 with learner permit made an illegal u-turn and was hit. She fled from the accident before getting pulled over. She was scared and didn't know what to do. She was honest with the police and received a ticket to appear for illegal u-turn and failure to give information after damage to another vehicle. What should we expect? She's a good student never been in trouble before this.

Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
Hard to say what to expect as it depends a lot on what court it is in. However, at 16 your daughter can only get 5 points in any 12 month period, so she will have to work out a deal that is for 5 points or less or she will get a notice from the DMV about suspending her license. This one that it may make sense to at least consult a lawyer familiar with the court she will be in to get their input, even if you decide to handle it on your own.
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law | John Hugger
I would hire an attorney ASAP! Almost certainly they will offer you a plea deal for 1/2 the points, but since she is charged with 16 points, 8 points will still result in loss of her ability to drive. Good luck!
Connell-Savela
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
The hit and run is the big ticket - it causes loss of license if they will not reduce to less than 9 points, she loses her license - get an attorney insurance should cover the collision otherwise - I hope no one was hurt.