What should we expect going forward on a class three retail fraud? 6 Answers as of September 08, 2014

My wife was distracted by three of our four kids and forgot about $30 dollar worth of merchandise under her cart and was stopped by loss prevention at the door. She offered to pay for it but was ticketed by county sheriff.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get a lawyer and fight. They have to prove that she intended to steal the items. Forgetting about them is defense if there is no intent to steal.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/8/2014
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
It is impossible to predict what may happen, but given the circumstances, you can at least explain why this happened. You may be able to work with the prosecutor to have the penalties reduced but I would recommend at least speaking with an experienced defense attorney in your area to make sure that this isn't something that attaches to your record if that is at all avoidable.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/2/2014
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
That depends on a.prior criminal record. If first time, generally plead not guilty, and have an attorney advocate for her. There are diversion programs and alternative sentencing. If not first time, still plead not guilty, get an attorney and see what type of plea deal will be offered. If not guilty of the crime, could have a jury trial. Some companies are very adamant about prosecuting. Get a good attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/1/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Get an attorney and seek to avoid a permanent record which can have very adverse future issues.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/1/2014
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
This will not go away on its own. It sounds like she has a legitimate defense. She needs to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney from the area that handles retail fraud or shoplifting charges.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/1/2014
Click to View More Answers: