What should we do if we have not received the letter for the citizenship oath ceremony? 7 Answers as of January 19, 2011

My girlfriend is Mexican who have a green card since 2003 and lives in Texas, on the mid of August 2010 she made the U.S citizenship naturalization test and she passed it then the USCIS send to her attorney the date of oath ceremony on the mid of Sep 2010, then her attorney called her back and told her that the date of attending the Oath ceremony for her got delayed by USCIS, so till now she is still waiting her new letter of Oath ceremony and the new date for attending this ceremony. Further more, before 10 days ago her attorney called her and she told him that she didn’t receive it till now then he said he will check about this with the USCIS and will follow up about this matter, so I have 3 questions: Is this situation is okay, I mean is this normal to happen sometimes in some states? She already passed the U.S citizenship naturalization test and she pay’s her taxes always and she has a good job in the U.S. I am here visiting the U.S by B2 visa and have 6 months entry , shall we get married now or shall I wait until she get the U.S citizenship? Because I do not want to go outside the U.S and keep us waiting for years as couples until she can sponsor me! Because I want to stay with her and establish a live together, not far away from each other. When do you think that she will have the oath ceremony? Is it normal to wait more than 4 months after the person pass the U.S Citizenship naturalization test or there is something wrong? Please can anyone give me clear answers for this situation? Thank you in advance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
4 months seems long but sometimes this does happen. Have her attorney request administrative naturalization if that is an option in her district. She can also file an inquiry with the 800# or better yet make an INFOPASS appointment to check on her case. If not happy with the attorney, contact me to assist you.

With regard to your application I don't know how much time you have left on your B-2 to properly advise you but definitely take whatever steps you can to expedite the citizenship Oath. If you need advice on your case contact me and I will advise on procedure and costs.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/19/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Something is definitely wrong. Send an inquiry directly to the USCIS office that first scheduled the swearing-in ceremony. It is a good idea to get an appointment at one of the information centers.

It is possible that something got lost in the mail, especially if she has moved, or if her attorney moved.

You can get married any time you like. Once she gets citizenship, you can get married and apply for an immigrant visa and adjustment of status in one step, without leaving the country.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/13/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
I can't really say when she will have an oath ceremony as that is really dependent on your region and district office scheduling. I encourage you to follow up with the immigration attorney and alternatively, to schedule an INFOPASS at the local district office to inquire personally about the status of the case. Delays happen on occasion. I do not think it is normal, but I also do not believe it is abnormal. You can get married at anytime, but obviously you need to resolve her citizenship question before you can file anything on your behalf. I cannot advise you to overstay so I think you must move forward on investigating the oath ceremony delay.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/13/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
It is not normal to wait 4 months for a rescheduled oath appointment, BUT it is not unheard of. It may be that the USCIS in your area does not have many oath ceremonies scheduled. She should follow up with her attorney, or she should make an INFOPASS to follow up on her case. She can make an INFOPASS by going to USCIS.gov and following the instructions.

You can get married now since it will not affect her Naturalization application. She can petition you once you are married, and once she is a citizen you can file for your Green Card without having to leave the U.S.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/13/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
1) You can get marry now. Don't wait; but make sure your immigration legal status.

2) your lawyer should follow through.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/13/2011
    Pauly P.A.
    Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
    You have an immigration attorney and your attorney knows your situation and will have to advise you. Your girlfriend can always schedule an INFOPASS appointment with your local USCIS office to check on the status of her case, which seems to have fallen off the "radar screen."
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/13/2011
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    Sometimes, Oath ceremony for an applicant get canceled or delayed. Sometime, the notices are mailed late, never received or never mailed. Things happen. USCIS and / or the mail service is never 100% perfect. The attorney seems to be doing the same thing as I would in same situation. A trip to the USCIS might reveal an oversight or a particular problem.

    Probably better (In most situation - to ascertain yours I would have to ask you more questions) to wait for your girlfriend to naturalize, then she can file for you as a spouse.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: