What should we do if being sued by our landlord? 4 Answers as of May 09, 2011

Our previous landlord wants to take us to court for non-payment of final month's rent. We stayed through the term of our lease with terrible living conditions. We cannot afford to pay him what he wants.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Palumbo and Kosofsky
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
You will be evicted if you cannot pay the rent.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/9/2011
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
If it is small claims, you should sue her for the living conditions. If it is unlivable or the conditions make it uninhabitable and you notified the landlord or she knew the conditions were poor, you can ask the court for a refund of your rent for the fair rental value of the premises. You should also go online to the Pine Tree Legal Assistance website, just google them, for more extensive information that is all free.
Answer Applies to: Maine
Replied: 4/20/2011
Attorney Paul Lancia
Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
Use that as an affirmative defense to paying the rent.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: