What should my teen plea in a DUI case? 13 Answers as of August 04, 2011

My teenage child got a DUI and I don't know what to do. Is there anything I can do in court that will make the consequences less severe?

Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
It's hard to say without knowing more-was there a reason for the stop, what was the blood alcohol level, etc. Need to talk to a lawyer or get a public defender. In California If your teen is convicted of DUI they will lose their license till they're 21.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
He needs to have a lawyer, appointed or retained as you can afford.
Hire an attorney. Minimizing or eliminating, where possible, unpleasant events, is what an attorney is for.
If he is under 18 when he got the DUI he will be going to Juvenile court. At a min. he will not be able to drive for a year. You will be required to go with him. He could go to juvenile hall and will be required to go to classes on drinking. Getting a good attorney will help. I need all the facts to know what he should plea.
    You should consult a DUI Defense attorney in your area to discuss the case in more detail. There is a lot of potential defenses that can be raised to mitigate potential consequences, and potentially dismiss or reduce the charges. If you are in southern California, feel free to contact me at 818-336-1384 or through 1duilawyer.com. I would not recommend going to court and simply pleading guilty or no contest without at least discussing the matter with a DUI attorney, and ultimately would recommend hiring an DUI attorney to handle the case.
    What can YOU do? Nothing, other than to hire him an attorney. He faces a professional prosecutor intending to convict. The attorney will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction, or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Keep in mind a little free advice: When arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking the defendant is given documents that include a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV appeal hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Initially, they should plead 'Not Guilty'. You should hire a lawyer for your son or a lawyer will be appointed for him. The case should be investigated and only if he can not fight it, then he should enter a plea pursuant to WIC 654.2, not WIC 654.1. WIC 654.1 will trigger a DMV suspension.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Pre enroll him in a DUI counseling class , take proof of that to court and tell him to be very remorseful in court,
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    You should hire an attorney immediately to evaluate your teenager's case. All DUI charges do not necessarily result in convictions. If you do not hire an attorney by the arraignment date plead not guilty or ask the court for extra time to retain counsel.
    There is nothing you, the parent, can do. You need to hire a DUI specialist to represent her in court, and also to contact the DMV, because there are 2 separate proceedings against your daughter, one civil (DMV), one criminal (court)
    Plead not guilty and hire an attorney. Make sure an attorney takes the time to review the case. There may be possible defenses that you are unaware of and your attorney will ensure that the consequences are the least possible.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Try to hire a private attorney. Underage DUI's are extremely severe, with a potential loss of license for a minimum of 1 year. You should contact some attorneys to discuss the case details and preserve your child's right to a DMV hearing. If the DMV hearing is not requested in time (10 calendar days from arrest) then the DMV can automatically suspend the license without a hearing. In court, an attorney will be able to negotiate some kind of plea to limit consequences as much as possible.